Stuffed Tempeh Burgers
This recipe is as fun to make as it is to eat. Grate Tofurky’s Original Soy Cake and mix with flax seeds and a little cornstarch. Form the mixture into burgers and stuff with a blend of vegan mozzarella, hot peppers, and olives. Fry them up in a pan so they are crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. Served on a pretzel bun with vegan mayo, avocado and sauteed kale, these stuffed burgers are the real deal.
what you’ll need:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 bunch lacinato kale, shredded
½ onion, finely diced
1 package TofurkyⓇ Original Soy Cake Tempeh, grated
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
One 8oz package vegan mozzarella cheese, grated
½ cup garlic or pimiento-stuffed green olives, finely chopped
¼ cup jarred pickled hot peppers, drained and finely chopped
½ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced
4 pretzel buns
1 avocado, thinly sliced
how to make:
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add kale and saute until tender, 7-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a bowl.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl and add tempeh, cornstarch, flax, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands making sure mixture sticks together.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, olives, and peppers.
- Portion tempeh mixture using a ½-cup measuring cup. Make an indentation in the center of each patty. Fill with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture and form tempeh mixture around it. Flatten into a ½” thick patty. Repeat with remaining tempeh, making 4 burgers.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet. Add burgers and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and garlic.
- To serve, spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on top and bottom of each bun. Place tempeh burger on bottom half and top with avocado and kale.