Stuffed Pretzel Knots with Nacho Cheese
what you’ll need:
1 pound prepared pizza dough, divided into 4 pieces
2 tablespoons vegan butter
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1⁄2 cup diced Tofurky Smoked Ham or Tofurky Hickory Smoked Deli Slices
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2⁄3 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup mixed with 1 teaspoon water
Coarse salt or pretzel salt
For the nacho cheese:
1⁄2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
1⁄3 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
how to make:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. In a small skillet over low heat, melt butter and sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
3. Sprinkle prepared dough with thyme & black pepper. Roll each piece of dough into a 1⁄2” thick rope and flatten with a rolling pin. Brush with garlic butter, sprinkle with ham, then roll up tightly width-wise, so the dough once again forms a 1⁄2” thick rope. Fold rope in half over your finger, twist loose ends around each other a few times, then tuck the end into the loop created by your finger.
4. In a large saucepan, bring 10 cups water and baking soda to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place each pretzel in the water for 30 seconds, drain well, pat dry, and place on baking sheet. Brush lightly with syrup glaze and sprinkle with salt.
5. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
6. In a blender, process cashews, bell peppers, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, cayenne, and 1⁄4 cup water until completely smooth, adding a little more water if needed to blend.
7. Serve pretzels warm with cheese sauce.