Equality & Security
The Tofurky Company is committed to promoting gender equity and eliminating sexual harassment and gender discrimination in the workplace and in the greater animal protection movement / non-profit sector. As such, the following criteria will be considered when evaluating non-profit organizations and/or programs for monetary donations and donations of goods and services:
• The organization must have a formal written sexual harassment / gender discrimination policy in place, introduced by the Board and executive leadership to the entire staff, and followed closely by the executive leadership.
• The anti-harassment / discrimination policy should include mandatory reporting of incidents through all levels of the managerial chain up to and including the entire Board.
• All harassment / discrimination complaints must be treated seriously, kept as confidential as possible, and investigated fully.
• The anti-harassment / discrimination policy should expressly protect whistleblowers and forbid any retaliation against employees for reporting sexual harassment.
• The organization must provide education and regular, ongoing training about sexual harassment and gender discrimination in the workplace and the organization’s anti-harassment / discrimination policy. All managers and executive leadership will be required to follow the trainings closely, lead by example, and not disparage or joke about any of the policies or trainings.
• Organizations are strongly encouraged to adopt travel policies where employees do not share bedrooms during business travel. Where room-sharing occurs, strong policies should be enacted to limit potential sexual abuse / harassment, with particular consideration given to power dynamics between employees.
• The organization will be asked to provide the following information:
1. A copy of the written sexual harassment / gender discrimination policy.
2. A copy of the business travel policy.
3. Detailed description of education and training materials, resources and schedule / practices.
4. The ratio of self-identified men to self-identified women to non-binary persons in the organization.
5. The ratio of self-identified men to self-identified women to non-binary persons in management roles.
6. The ratio of self-identified men to self-identified women to non-binary persons on the Board.
7. The number of sexual harassment / gender discrimination complaints received each year in the past five years.
8. The percent of sexual harassment / gender discrimination complaints that resulted in disciplinary action.
9. The number of individuals in management roles, on the organization’s Board, or on any advisory council or similar entity who have been charged with any type of sexual or gender-related harassment or crime.
If you would like to download the most recent copy of this policy, please find it here.