Vegan Poutine With ‘Bacon’ Gravy and Pepper Jack ‘Cheese’
Ahhh, poutine…we’ve whipped up a little tribute to our friends up north, in a fries-with-cheese-and-gravy kind of way. If this conjures up fond memories of childhood and you’ve been pining after a veg-friendly version…we’ve got your back. So fire up your oven, break out the tempeh bacon and invite the neighbors…this total experience might also require a lounge chair when finished 😉
Stack the deck with a crispy and frothy IPA, like something from our B-Corp Buddies, Hopworks Urban Brewery.
what you’ll need:
4 medium russet potatoes (about 3 pounds), cut into thin fries
3 tablespoons preferred vegetable oil, divided
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package Tofurky® Tempeh Smoky Maple Bacon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
4 ounce block vegan cheddar or pepper jack, cubed
how to make:
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a large bowl, toss to combine potatoes, oil, salt, and garlic. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake, tossing halfway through, until well-browned and crisp, about 30-35 minutes.
3. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add flour and whisk until it’s a paste. Stir in broth and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat, and add thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Chop tempeh and stir into gravy.
5. To serve, mound fries on a plate. Scatter with cheese cubes and pour gravy on top.